The position of General Manager – Gaming Fanfest Tour is responsible for the development, launch and ongoing operation of a new live touring experience that will cater to the fanbase of a hugely popular and well-established video game property and industry leading video game title. In partnership with the President of Herschend Live Events, this position will drive all aspects of the business while ensuring bottom line P&L success from its operations. The tour will launch in summer 2019 and is expected to hit at least 5 US markets while growing to more markets in future years. This position will also manage the license and collaborate with the IP rights holder to maximize the partnership, develop innovative “on brand” experiences and position the tour for long-term success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Work with President, COO, VP Finance and HR to accomplish the following:
• Execute business plan to achieve pro-forma P&L metrics
• Identify staffing requirements and hire/train talent (internal and third party) for operating the tour while delivering a unique and innovative fan experience
• Develop logistics strategy and budget as well as operational guidelines to maximize travel, lodging and delivery of tour assets and personnel
• Oversee budgeting process and coordinate revenue generation and expense activity with finance team
• Lead decision making around venue selection and booking strategy to maximize attendance and tour efficiency
• Create onsite retail and merchandising strategy
• Schedule and lead ongoing partnership planning and strategy meetings with licensor
• Develop plan for eventual international expansion
Work in concert with Herschend Creative Studios and Licensor to oversee and direct the following:
• Create innovative fan centric experiences and attractions that are core to tour program and delivered on budget
• Integrate software experiences that enhance the program and deepen the relationship with fans while providing robust engagement
• Establish the optimal balance and layout for the physical attractions, panels/seminars, vendors, competitive gaming and third-party exhibitors
• Ensure all aspects of the Gaming Fanfest program are approved, endorsed and supported by Licensor
Sales and Marketing
Collaborate closely with EVP Sales, EVP Marketing and Licensor Marketing teams to accomplish the following:
• Set pricing and ticket types to achieve sales and attendance projections
• Create sales strategy and timing to launch the tour
• Create integrated tour website and social media platforms
• Leverage the marketing and promotion assets of Licensor to reach and convert sales to the fan base – use gaming portal to drive sales
• Identify and secure best possible ticketing platform
• Secure tour sponsors in concert with licensor
• Work with group sales to secure third party exhibitors and vendors in each tour location
COMPLEXITY OF WORK
This is a true “start-up” business that will require quick decision making, creative problem solving across multiple disciplines, close collaboration with partner, rallying and driving internal resources and executing to tight timelines.
RELATIONSHIPS OUTSIDE WORK UNIT
Works closely with one of the largest and best-known video game titles in the world. Influences decisions of significant nature. High degree of tact and diplomacy to obtain favorable decisions and maintain good will while fulfilling the obligations of the licensing agreement with partner.
Responsible for leveraging the internal skills and resources of Herschend Live events and tour staff to achieve financial and creative goals. This role will also identify and manage appropriate outside vendors and service providers as needed. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree required preferably in business administration, Master’s degree a plus.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience leading and managing a world-class entertainment/attraction operation (touring experience a plus).
• Knowledge and appreciation for eSports/video game properties is a high priority.
• Entrepreneurial, or startup, experience strongly preferred.
• Track record of successful interdepartmental collaboration, as well as with outside partners, to meet time-sensitive business objectives.
• Must have prior P&L responsibility.
To apply for this job, send an email to email@example.com. Please include the job title in your cover letter.