The Portland Timbers enter their 10th season in Major League Soccer (MLS) in 2020. As the league’s 18th team that began competing in MLS in 2011, the Timbers play their home games at Providence Park, an iconic downtown Portland stadium reopened for the 2019 season following a sparkling, $85 million transformation that increased capacity to 25,218. The Timbers, who won their first MLS Cup in 2015 and advanced to a second MLS Cup in 2018, have sold out every league home game since joining MLS, a streak of more than 160 games entering the 2020 season.
The Portland Thorns, a member of the National Women’s Soccer League [NWSL], play their home matches at Providence Park. The Thorns, who won the NWSL Championship in 2013 and 2017, have one of the strongest supporter followings in American soccer. Their average attendance of over 20,100 per match provides for an exciting and entertaining environment enjoyed by individuals and families of all ages.
The Director of Partnership Marketing will oversee partner-related activities including activation and execution of all service-related requirements for contractually obligated sponsorship elements and media assets. This position will build strong relationships with a large portfolio of clients and lead staff in the renewal and retention of sponsors.
This position must also have a thorough understanding of all aspects of the Corporate Partnership department’s overall operations, including (but not limited to) special event planning, community programs, signage management, marketing, media management, and executing/capturing case studies and best in class examples.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
• Manage sponsorship inventory, including the tracking/updating of all inventory, adding new inventory when applicable, communicating updates to the team weekly/monthly
• Ownership of the touchpoint management to ensure all Partnership Marketing (PM) team members are facilitating all their client touchpoints on a timely basis
• Participate in integrated meetings to enhance asset ideation and relay information to team
• Engage in activity with team to complete contract deliverables and best practices
• Manage PM team including annual review of job descriptions, interviewing, on-boarding and tracking of goals and responsibilities
• Maintain day to day relationships between partners and internal departments
• Work with partners to identify measurable business objectives specific to their goals
• Co-develop and execute partnership activation plans that most effectively leverage our assets and capabilities, builds our partners’ business and delivers on objectives
• Manage contract process with PM staff, in-house counsel and finance
• Host high-level corporate executives
• Manage his/her clients CRM (KORE) entries to ensure information is accurate, deliverables are tracked and fulfilled, and account information is up to date always
• Track all account inventory across all mediums, including in-stadium, print, radio, television, digital and game-day activation, while providing continual status-updates to the Partnership sales team
• Attend client meetings and assist in presenting corporate sponsorship's sales proposals
• Accountability and influence in renewals, upsells and revenue development
• Work collaboratively to develop new sellable marketing, community, MLS initiatives and digital platforms our sales team can use to monetize business
• Manage the end of season recap process
• Serve as liaison to MLS PM team and league partners
• Guide the renewal process in conjunction with the sales team to ensure high retention rates while maximizing our partner’s investment dollars
• Game-day responsibilities include managing activation setup, entertaining clients and fulfilling sponsorship contract obligations
• Event planning, production, and execution for partner-sponsored events and/or meetings
• Work with MLS sponsorship colleagues sharing ideas and industry news
• Assist in incorporating appropriate market data market research into sponsorship proposals and partner recaps
• Will accept other responsibilities and duties required by the supervisor consistent with the objectives and essential functions of this position. Such responsibilities shall be incorporated into the position description if they are ongoing.
• Partnership Marketing Managers
• Partnership Marketing Coordinator
• Experience formulating marketing/activation plans and promotions from development to execution
• Natural ability to develop a strong rapport and establish long-term relationships with both clients and co-workers
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Demonstrates an ability to work independently and to be self-motivated
• Exceptional problem solving and multi-tasking skills
• Comfortable working in a sales environment and having basic negotiation discussions
• Attention to detail and ability to thrive in a deadline driven environment
• Able to work extended hours including games and events in the evening and on weekends
• Minimum computer aptitude required: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Minimum 5 years of successful sponsorship fulfillment experience with a major league professional sports team or high-profile entertainment entity, while working in a competitive sales environment
• A minimum of 3 years of prior management experience preferred
To apply for this job, send an email to email@example.com. Please include the job title in your cover letter.