The Oakland Raiders’ rich history began in 1960 when the city of Oakland was awarded a franchise in the American Football League. In 1963, Al Davis was named the head coach and the league’s youngest ever general manager, establishing a historic culture that has remained with the Raiders to this day.
Whether it was changing the team colors to silver and black, innovating on the field with an exciting “vertical game”, or articulating the team’s values - "Pride and Poise", "Commitment to Excellence" and "Just Win, Baby" – Davis led the team to revered heights, including 15 total Division Championships, 5 total Conference Championships, 1 American Football League Championship and 3 Super Bowl Championships.
One of the most recognizable brands in professional sports, the Raiders organization is now in the midst of a transformational period. This transition brings exciting opportunities to the franchise’s future.
The Controller will be responsible for leading the accounting function in a dynamic fast-paced environment. This position will be responsible for overseeing all accounting operations, internal controls compliance, technical accounting oversight, and all audit engagements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing accounting policies and procedures.
• Along with the Director of Ticket Finance and Controls establish, monitor and enforce internal controls for departments.
• Oversee the operations of the accounting department and organizational structure to ensure achievement of departmental goals and objectives.
• Maintains financial staff job performance by coaching and counseling; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
• Oversee all accounts, ledgers, financial statements and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
• Manage relationships with outside auditors; coordinate the preparation of the annual audited financial statements and work papers
• Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary companies ensuring consistency of reporting and accounting policies and procedures throughout.
• Ensure that all financial transactions are recorded in a timely, accurate fashion and in compliance with current accounting policies
• Design, develop and publish key financial metrics for distribution to senior leadership.
• Assist senior leadership with the preparation of their annual departmental budgets.
• Oversee the company’s budgeting process
• Review variances to operating budget and report significant issues to senior leadership and budget owners.
• Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal reporting requirements and tax filings.
• Monitor industry accounting trends to establish and implement best practices.
• Monitor pending technical guidance and the impact on The Raiders financial reporting.
• Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements.
• Prepare tax work papers for outside accountants.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance with equivalent related experience
• Experience with Great Plains software a plus.
• CPA or CPA (Inactive) or MBA with Accounting/Finance emphasis preferred
• Must have a minimum of 8+ years of progressive accounting experience.
• Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Good understanding of federal tax basis of accounting
• Strong Microsoft Office suite skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
• System knowledge: Accounting/Payroll software and Forecasting/Budgeting software.
• Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving abilities
• Ability to effectively multi-task on a daily basis with shifting priorities.
• Ability to work independently, exercise judgment and make sound decisions that will have a financial impact on the company.
• Team player with independent initiative.
• Thorough and analytical attention to detail and critical thinking.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work extended hours as needed to accommodate monthly, quarterly and year-end closings.
• Must be able to relocate to Las Vegas in June of 2020.
To apply for this job, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in your cover letter.